SLO VOAD 2012 Earthquake Recovery Exercise
Participant Discussion Guide
The Participant Discussion Guide
from the Earthquake Recovery Exercise hosted by SLO VOAD on January 18, 2012, includes a series of stimulating questions you can use to stimulate a discussion about how your organization can improve its disaster preparedness.
Listed below are some suggestions concerning how to use this guide in your organization. Feel free to adapt these suggestions to your circumstances.
How to Use the Discussion Guide
- Announce a special meeting or set aside time in a regular staff meeting to identify ways to improve your organization's preparedness.
- Distribute the discussion guide to your staff two or three days before the meeting and ask them to take 10 - 15 minutes to review it before the meeting.
- At the meeting:
- Organize your staff into 3 - 5 small groups.
- Assign each group a set of questions from page 3 or page 5 of the discussion guide.
- Instruct the participants to:
- Work individually to write down answers to one or more of the questions assigned to his or her group. (5 - 10 minutes)
- Discuss in their small groups the answers they have written, with the goal of formulating one or two recommendations. (10 - 15 minutes)
- Share their recommendations with the large group. (10 - 15 minutes)
- Facilitate a large group discussion with the goal of selecting the two or three most important recommendations.
- Assign tasks and deadlines to implement the selected recommendations.